Monday, July 28, 2008

Who We Are

"You can be whoever you want to be."

When talking about what was ahead before my big move to Wisconsin last month, my best friend said these words to me. He added, "There isn't a single person there who ever knew you."

Hearing it put this way catches one off guard. It can even be said to alienate. I'm just one little drop in the great big lake that is the world. It used to be easy -- I was always with someone or some group that I knew well anytime I had traveled.

But when I left small-town Ohio six days after graduating from college, I came with what could fit in my car. If you're searching for a comparison, think first-year college student leaving home in the pre-cell phone era.

"You can be whoever you want to be."

Moving from one Midwest town to another also helps. Small-town Ohio to New York City would have been an extreme adjustment. But my move here helps in more ways than just "feeling at home."

This is because, in all actuality, no matter how hard we try to do otherwise, we remain the same person at the core. When I came here, I didn't suddenly stop laughing at jokes that were funny to me in Ohio. I didn't forget how to produce a newscast (though I've learned how to produce a BETTER newscast since coming here). My friends here don't have opposite interests from those who now can only reach me by phone or facebook messages. Deep down, I'm just Kevin Hunt.

Newscasts are the same. The idea of our news stories is to let viewers see and hear a conversation about what is happening. There's a lot more that goes into it, but the basic idea is that we give you news you want to know.

Our anchors and reporters are one part of the dialogue and you are the other side -- which is why our phone number is posted in public, we have a place on nbc15.com for posting comments and feedback and we try to talk with real people in surrounding communities.

So remember, we consider the viewing public in what is important for our daily "conversations" -- be it The Morning Show, 11 a.m., 4, 5, 6 or 10 p.m. newscasts. Our station motto is, "Coverage You Can Count On" -- and we're doing what we can to include everyone in our conversations.

It's the same reason why I'm loving it here in Southern Wisconsin. I came with nothing, yet I feel like I've been a part of the dialogue since I arrived. I look forward to continuing the conversation at ten o'clock every night on NBC 15.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey man. good post. glad to hear you're doing well