Wednesday, April 30, 2008

MLB April is a Riot

I just want to get this out of the way right now: Chicago Cubs infielder Ryan Theriot is known as "Ryan the Riot" because of the spelling of his name. Use it as you see fit, but as far as the published world is concerned, I coined it.

Now that I'm off my high horse, I wanted to make a few comments about the major league baseball season thus far. First of all, most of my knowledge comes from sifting through various fantasy news. If I miss your favorite player, well, get over it -- or better yet, leave your qualms in the form of a comment at the end of this blog.

How about the start to the season for Chase Utley and Hanley Ramirez?? Utley hit home run #11 on the year tonight, three more than next on the list. A list that includes Ramirez, who also has 9 stolen bases, four behind NL leader Michael Bourn. (Wait, Michael Bourn?? Where did he come from?? By the way, his on-base percentage is .280. If he's on base, he's going to try to steal. But try as you might, he hasn't been caught yet. The big question now: how quickly after this post will he get thrown out. My guess is that it will come on his second attempt to swipe a bag. Stay tuned.)

On the pitching side, Cliff Lee for the Indians has been crazy good. If not for his "low" strikeout total (32, 9 behind leaders Aaron Harang and Felix Hernandez) Lee would be incredibly close to claiming the pitching Triple Crown through one month. Pretty good for a guy whose head was called for by fans, including myself. Hard to argue against it when there are good arms like Aaron Laffey and Jeremy Sowers.

And finally I want to express some love for a guy I hate -- another Philly, Pat Burrell. I hate him because year after year I draft him in fantasy, then he sucks for a month or so until I drop him, then he turns it on until I pick him up, at which point he drops to all-new levels of pathetic-ness. This year I drafted him once again, but only with the motivation that he is in a contract season and looks to make himself a nice paycheck after this season. Here's hoping it's not just another great start for Pat the Bat.

Swing and a Drive...

No comments: