Friday, April 25, 2008

Swing and a Drive

I'm sitting here on a late Friday night in Kent, Ohio, just wondering exactly how I got here. Then I remembered that whole "I need to have resume material to show future employers" thing, sucked it up and got on board.

The Bobcats took a 7-2 win today over Kent State in the first game of a three-game set. This is a crucial series for Ohio in my mind because 1) it decides who takes first place in the MAC East Division, 2) it gives the winner of the series some great momentum heading into the home stretch and 3) Kent is the defending MAC Champion team and, let's be honest, who doesn't want to knock off #1??

Kent started out the scoring with a run in the bottom of the 1st, but the bats went silent for much of the rest of the game. KSU had the bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the 2nd, but Ohio pitcher Chris Rigo did a great job pitching out of the jam. Rigo went on to pitch a complete game win, throwing over 140 pitches. Seems like a lot by today's don't-throw-your-arm-out standards, but even 140 pales in comparison to numbers compiled by some staff aces of bygone days. (The MLB playoff record is 163, held by Boston's Luis Tiant from Game Four of the 1975 World Series.)

I'm hoping to get some audio of these games up here when I get back to Athens because, unfortunately, I can't record it on my own here in Kent. I'm also hoping to post to the blog a little more often -- short things like this instead of longer column-like posts. And let's face it, I'm just better at being shorter.

Swing and a Drive...

No comments: